Saturday 6 June 2009

The Amazing Opt Out

I'm not very good at confrontation, and quite often when I feel that people have over stepped the mark I just let things go. Unfortunately this is not always a good tactic, as those that I fail to speak to think that they can continue to follow the patterns they have followed from before. On the occasions that I do speak to people, I end up apologising for saying anything at all. Then having spoken, I face the inner turmoil of maybe having upset someone - no matter that they perhaps upset me.

So I opt out of confrontation.

My opt out personality has even arisen for preaching this week. We face the mystery of the Trinity, and instead my folk will be having a Summer Sing. This is something the worship team asked if we could return to, and this Sunday seemed as good an opportunity as any. Some of the folk have picked their favourite hymn and will come out during worship to explain why they like it. From my perspective it is an easy Sunday.

And yet given that this was a request from them, I still feel I have opted out. However perhaps the understanding of the relation of the Trinity will be found in the singing of diverse hymns. Each hymn very different, speaks of something new about God and perhaps we will be encouraged to grasp the breadth of purpose to be found in God's love. A love that speaks to all who hear, and is expressed in a multitude of words and songs, that others might meet it.

No comments:

Post a Comment