Friday 24 July 2009

Swine Flu and Sacraments


It's interesting to note that the Archbishops of York and Canterbury have written a letter to offer advice on the administration of sacraments during the swine flu pandemic. Having read the letter I'm wondering if the Church of Scotland will be offering advice at a national level, or perhaps there not worrying at the moment as we're mid holiday seasons and many churches won't now be celebrating communion until late September.


My mother suggested that it was because they diluted the wine and we used fortified wine. I've queried her on this, as we still have to touch the bread and not every church uses fortified wine.


Of course I'm interested in a tongue in cheek way. The reality is that every time we celebrate the sacraments, someone out there somewhere has some bug that anyone of us could catch. The sacraments are about the breaking down of barriers and I can't help think that in our panic over this flu we will put in barriers that terrify people from accepting God's grace.

3 comments:

  1. G'day mate - nice to see you in the blog-o-sphere :)
    Think there's a wee solution to the above problem. Check out the link below.

    http://www.kingdom.com/Prefilled-Communion-Cup-with-Wafer-500-Count-p/ccw500.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and cringed at Nikki's link (which also brought me here)... but you never know!

    And what about all those hands that are shaken and the occasional kiss or two at the door??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kisses? No one told me about kisses at selection school!

    ReplyDelete