Friday 7 August 2009

Bread


While I'm returning to a theme of an earlier blog, in preaching this summer it will be the first time I've looked at the "Bread of Life" motif that runs through the Gospel of John over a number of weeks of lectionary readings. I've carefully been trying to avoid it, given that it arises most summers and I'm sure in the x number of years I've been here I've probably bored them to tears on more than one occasion.

However this week, I'm taking the issue head on and am thinking that I want to talk about how the bread we use in communion says something about what we have as an understanding of Jesus and then picking up on the Ephesians reading want to talk about being "imitators" of that bread. I know it will make more sense once I get going.

But just for starters, what kind of bread do you like in communion?
- A stiff little wafer - sometimes sticks to the roof of your mouth and is difficult to swallow.
- a stale cubed piece of bread - in a plate where every one's fingers have shuffled to grab the hopefully little piece that doesn't taste so bad.
- or a freshly torn piece, of freshly baked doughy, seedy bread - something that tempts the palate, and speaks of the abundance of God.

Of course I'm highlighting my preference, but has our choice of communion bread hastened what we think and understand of God? In choosing the smaller, easier to prepare and find options, we are perhaps missing the significance of what Jesus means when he says "I am the bread of life". I imagine that bread to be chunky, freshly made, and filling. Sometimes the seeds can be tough to chew, but they give you food for thought, and don't allow you to hurry on to the next piece. Instead you discover how filling the bread is, and how much you need to share it with others.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of breaking a piece from an uncut loaf - I used this method for an agape service (as I am not allowed to do the "magic bits" in a communion yet!)and I found it meaningful. But...but the bread was a bit grubby by the time it got back to me!

    It made me wonder about hygiene - and could we use it during a pandemic?

    Theologically I have no doubt it is better than wafers - probably anything is! As is the Common Cup as opposed to wee cuppies(don't you just cringe at the clink clink when they're put into the holders - I do!).

    ReplyDelete