Thursday 3 December 2009

Preparing for the Preparation



For a few years now I have taken the first week in December, including the second Sunday of Advent, as a holiday.   I've done so for a number of reasons.   In part it is to give myself a little rest before heading into the last three weeks of relentless parties, mince pies and Christmas carols.   It is also an opportunity to do most of the Christmas shopping, and therefore know it will not have to be hurriedly fitted in around other things.   This also tends to be the week though when my husband is involved in lighting an "am-dram" production, and my being on holiday means that there are no evening meetings and so the children are assured that their other parent will be home for the evening.

Those who know me well know that I am not very good at taking holidays around the manse.    I can't resist peaking at the caller display to see who is phoning.   If there are the odd e-mails that appear, I will respond to them.

This inability to rest completely has been made worse this week by members of the congregation failing to read the intimations.   Mrs. Gerbil was exploring the question of church notices being read out a few weeks ago, and I responded there.   But my experience this week has further reinforced why the intimations should be read even if there is a printed sheet.  

Normally I read all the intimations, or at the very least draw attention to them.   I've done so for most of my ministry, and do so for two good reasons.   One is that people tend to take in what they hear, and are therefore more likely to then read the church notices.   But I aslo do it because we should never assume literacy no matter how middle class a congregation.    It was good to find out though that in terms of disability legislation this was good practice.

This Sunday however was busy with our Uniformed Organisations present in church, and therefore I skipped reading out that I would be on holiday.   So this week I've had phonecalls, people turning up at the door, and plenty emails to keep me busy.   To make it all the more amusing, my phone message is very clear about what you should do and who you should contact.   And yet, many have felt that they should just leave a message anyway.   Of course the message couldn't possibly mean you!

Perhaps they just know me well.   As in this week of rest, I've done a little Advent and Christmas church preparation as well.   For in the evenings when the children have gone to bed I've managed to pick hymns and readings and sort Christmas cards - as well as be mum and sew sequins to a tutu.   This weekend I plan to find some Advent worship somewhere else, and enjoy the invasion of Christ into the hustle and bustle of ordinary people trying to find space for the extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment