Thursday 21 January 2010

Opportunities for Learning

The last couple have weeks have offered the opportunity to enjoy some lectures.   Last week was a fascinating and truly enjoyable talk on "The Kirk and Scottish Literature", while tonight was "The Kirk and Visual Arts".

Since hitting the parish, I've often felt bereft of intellectual stimulous or the time to do it.   Amongst colleagues I often feel underprepared, and somewhat lacking in an underlying knowledge of the written word of any kind.   What thrilled me about last week's lecture, was not just the engagement of looking at the links between church and literature, but also an opportunity to perhaps encounter some texts that I hadn't read but that might also be readable.   And yet a silent thrill was to discover that I'm not as illiterate as I think I am, for many of the texts quoted from where things I had read, and things that I loved.   There are a few things that I've written down that I want to explore for the first time, or re-visit with fresh thoughts.

Tonight's lecture was given by John Lowrie Morrison (JoLoMo), who offered an opportunity to encounter the breadth of religious art, and yet also offered an opportunity to see the Reformation as an opporunity for flowering of Christian art - faith expressed through art, rather than depictions of Christian history.   So we were drawn to the light, texture, and creation of artwork.

I'm not sure I'll get to next week's lecture on Music, as I have a meeting about halls and possible develpments.   I'm now wondering how I could get that over with in an hour, to jump on the bus and stimulate my brain more.

The brain stimulation is working though as I'm reminded that further study is important.   It is not just for me, but for the people I would want to serve.   The university course I've been thinking of looks all the more enticing, and having broached with the Kirk Session about their support of my doing some further study I now feel more confident about finding those degree certificates and talking to some people about how to get going.

1 comment:

  1. Mate, get out of that meeting... the lecture will be awesome... trust me! I'll save you a seat.
    And as to further study... if you wanna chat, happy to do so. Great to see your line of thinking clarifying on this :D

    ReplyDelete